Penn State is serious about reducing waste and educating our students about sustainable practices.
The Impact of Food Services:
- Recycling in and near all dining commons and eateries on campus of metal cans, plastic bottles, newspaper and mixed office paper, glass bottles, corrugated cardboard and plastic film
- Green2Go containers are available in all dining commons eateries for take out meals
- Partner with the Student Farm to bring local produce to the dining commons
- Meet Your Farmer interactives and Local Meal special events to increase education about where our food is produced
- Compost leftover food, used napkins and kitchen scraps which is used for soil and landscaping projects on campus
- Support local vendor purchasing
- Committed to elimination of plastic straws in our All-You-Care-To-Eat facilities
- Efforts to reduce plastic bag usage through Eco Coin programming
- Support paperless communication practices
- Sponsors Student Sustainability Coordinators to help educate students and staff on sustainable practices and the impact they can make
- Partner with the Central PA Food Bank to redirect food resources
- Participation in Green Paws
Learn more on how to conserve resources and reduce waste at the University's Sustainability site.